Here are the responsibilities of a project manager at a high level –
- Document, review, and communicate project deliverables. This is commonly done with a project charter document. Keep the project charter up to date as the project moves forward.
- Create a high-level implementation plan and identify the external resources (suppliers subcontractors, consultants, etc.), internal resources (support needed from functional departments, etc), financial resources, and core project team members.
- Once required resources are finalized, confirm that the project is still viable (financial justification, resources available, etc).
- Identify risks that could impact a successful project outcome (i.e. technical feasibility not fully confirmed at the start of the project, sub-contractor might not be able to support the project, etc.).
- Create a detailed implementation plan that includes milestone deliverables and project update meetings at the appropriate points in time.
- Execute the project.
- Formally close out the project after completion and review results / lessons learned for future projects.